Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf

I'm not a huge fan of fresh blueberries.  Until this summer, I never bought them but my kids love them, so I've seen a lot of blueberries go through my kitchen.  I came across this amazing recipe on pinterest.  I pinned it months ago but thought of it recently.  I am so glad I did.  I've never used lemon zest before...  Weirdly enough, I always omit it in recipes I make.  I definitely won't be doing that again because through this recipe I realized the amazing 'lemonyness' it brings to this moist loaf.


Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf
(adapted slightly from Sweet Pea's Kitchen)

For the loaf:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup canola or olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
*In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
*In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil.
*Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
*In a separate bowl mix blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour.  Fold them into the batter.
*Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
*Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then cool on a wire rack over top of a plate or cookie sheet.
*While the loaf is cooling, prepare the lemon syrup.

For the Lemon Syrup:
  • 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup sugar
*Stir lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Cook until dissolved, then boil 3 minutes.
*Poke top and sides of cooling loaf with a toothpick.
*Brush with lemon syrup.  Repeat.
*Let the loaf cool completely.
*Prepare glaze.

For the Glaze:
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
*Once loaf has cooled, whisk together icing sugar and lemon juice.  Glaze should be thick but pourable.
*Drizzle over cool loaf and let drip down the sides.
*Let glaze dry for approximately 15 minutes before serving.

This was the best thing I have eaten in a long time.  As soon as I tried it I made the same recipe into a batch of muffins.  They were equally as good.

Enjoy!
-C :)

2 comments:

  1. This turned out great! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed it! It is definitely one of my favorites...wish I had a piece right now! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a comment if you have tried a recipe or have ideas on how to improve a recipe. If you have a question I will try to answer it the best I can! Thanks for reading!