|Picture by ME.|
Chicken Tortilla Soup
(adapted from a cookbook entitled Special Celebrations)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
*Stir in the broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
*Stir in the chicken. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.
*Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
*Serve topped with shredded cheddar and crushed tortilla chips.
*To make this in the crockpot, simply complete the first step and then dump everything in the crockpot. Set it on low and let it go!
I have made this with and without the lime juice and don't notice much of a difference. I sometimes add in celery, black beans, etc. I hope you enjoy this as much as our family does!