Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chili

Suddenly it is fall!  Instead of marinated chicken on the BBQ my thoughts have turned towards comfort foods.  For lunch today I enjoyed a bowl of steaming hot chili that warmed me through and through.  I know that there are a million chili recipes out there but I've never been able to find one that I truly love.  Now I have finally found it!!

Another one of my unskilled photos!
Chili
(adapted from www.food.com)
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (29 ounce) can kidney beans (with liquid)
  • (29 ounce) can pinto beans (with liquid)
  • 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 2 -3 teaspoons cumin powder
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
  • salt to taste
  • 1-2 cups water
*Brown ground onion, celery and ground beef until no pink remains.  Drain.
*Add all other ingredients.  (Add water as needed). Bring to a boil.
*Simmer 1.5 to 2 hours on low with lid ajar until thick.

I made a few adjustments.  I used beans that I had cooked at home so they had no liquid.  I found that I did need to add the full two cups of water to make the initial chili watery enough that I could simmer it down.  I also added two cans of mushrooms as I love mushrooms in my chili.  I loved the addition of the green chilies, they were the icing on the cake for me!!

Enjoy!

C :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a comment if you have tried a recipe or have ideas on how to improve a recipe. If you have a question I will try to answer it the best I can! Thanks for reading!