Thursday, December 30, 2010

Green Bean Casserole

Green bean casserole is a classic at most holiday tables.  The debate for me was do I go with the classic cream of mushroom soup variety or switch it up with something a bit better for you...  Amazingly, better for you won!

I think the result was pretty good.  It definitely wasn't the original, but close enough for me to want to make it again.  I love that it does not contain anything canned.

Image from allrecipes.com.  I thought there might be mutiny if I brought out the camera and started snapping pictures of the casserole instead of just eating it!

Green Bean Casserole
(recipe adapted from: Amy Barry)

  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (taste to see if you need more)
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 can waterchest nuts, drained and diced
  • 2 cups sour cream (light or full fat, not fat-free)
  • 2.5 lbs green beans, cooked
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
*Preheat oven to 375.
*Saute onions and mushrooms in a small amount of oil (or butter) until the mushrooms have released their water and it has evaporated.
*Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar and sour cream.
*Add green beans, onion and mushroom mixture and waterchest nuts to sauce. Stir to coat.
*Transfer the mixture to a greased casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top.
*Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the cheese is bubbly.
(I made mine the day before and took it out a few hours before cooking to warm up a bit.  It worked well.)

Hope you like it!

-Carla :)

1 comment:

  1. I stopped by from Andrea's blog. One of my twins is allergic to corn so any recipe with canned cream soup is out. This looks like a great alternative; thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a comment if you have tried a recipe or have ideas on how to improve a recipe. If you have a question I will try to answer it the best I can! Thanks for reading!